Translate this page:
View Disclaimer
Self-Help probate medical/financial/end of life issues

health care decisions

This page answer questions such as: Can I make my own medical decisions? Can I ask someone to make decisions for me if I am no longer able to? Can the Court help me make health care decisions for a very sick relative if there is no Advance Directive? Read this page for information about your own medical decisions, or if you are a relative of or caregiver for an elderly person.


living trusts

This page answer questions such as: What is a Living Trust? What are the advantages of a Living Trust? How do I set up a Living Trust? Is my Living Trust “revocable” – can I cancel or change it? Can a Living Trust help save or reduce estate taxes? How much of my property is exempt from the estate tax? What happens if I die or become incompetent? If I have a Living Trust, do I still need a Will?



Medi-Cal sometimes pays for care in nursing homes and other health care services. This page explains the Medi-Cal program, its eligibility requirements and special words that Medi-Cal uses. It also explains how to ask the Court to help you qualify for Medi-Cal. Asking the Court for help can be faster and less expensive than going through the state’s process. But you may need a lawyer's help!


power of attorney

A Power of Attorney is a document that lets you appoint someone to represent you. If you sign a Power of Attorney, you are the principal. The person you appoint to represent you is called the agent or attorney-in-fact. This page answers question such as: What is a Power of Attorney and how can it help me? What if I create a Power of Attorney and later the Court appoints a conservatorship for my estate?


More Help

Other pages on this website that you may want to read are:

California State Bar pamphlets:

Do I Need Estate Planning? 
Do I Need a Living Trust? 
Do I Need a Will? 



© 2024 Superior Court of California, County of Santa Clara