Translate this page:
View Disclaimer
Child's Name Change faq

How to change a name on a child's birth certificate?

In cases of a simple name change for a child, you can start by visiting our web page on Name Change and reading the tab about changing a name for a child/minor. You will find links to forms on that page.

If you still have questions after reviewing that page, you may want to contact the Santa Clara County Clerk-Recorder's Office at (408) 299-2481 . You can also visit their website .

The case you describe, however, where the issue is the father's last name, can be more complicated. In this situation there are paternity issues involved. Please see the Family Self-Help FAQ on paternity on a birth certificate.


Click to go BACK to the FAQ page

© 2023 Superior Court of California, County of Santa Clara