Translate this page:
View Disclaimer
accessing Juvenile court Files faq

How can I find out if I have a Juvenile Court file, and then access it?

If you live in or near San Jose: To find out about your juvenile dependency file (and whether you have one), you must go to the Juvenile Dependency Clerk's Office (in the Family Justice Center Courthouse) in person with a picture ID. To get information about your Juvenile Justice file (and find out if you have one), you must go to the Juvenile Justice Clerk's Office at the Juvenile Justice Courthouse in person with a picture ID.

If you live out of town: You may send in a written request with your signature notarized, a copy of your drivers license and a self-addressed, stamped envelope. The fee for copies is .50 per page. Certification is $15.00 per document. If a search needs to be done, the fee for a name search is $15.00 for searches that take longer than 10 minutes.

If you aren't sure the number of pages to be copied, you can enclose a check stating "Not to exceed $________" and we will fill in the correct amount and send you a receipt with your copies. Use the mailing address on the Family Justice Center Courthouse page for Dependency requests and the mailing address on the Juvenile Justice Courthouse page for Juvenile Justice requests..

If you are not a party in the juvenile case and want to see Juvenile Court records you have to ask (or “petition’) the Juvenile Court for permission. Use State Form JV 570  to write your petition. You have to file it with the Clerk’s office after 10 court days from when it was served (see the first paragraph above to determine which Clerk's office is appropriate). You may also need some of these forms: JV-569 , JV-571 , JV-572 , JV-573  and JV-574 .

Also see the section on this website, "Can other people see a minor’s records or go to the hearing?"

What are Juvenile Court records?

Juvenile Court records are:

  • The records in the Dependency Court legal file,
  • The social worker’s records, and
  • The Department of Family and Children’s Services’ records.

In general, the records don’t have:

  • Police reports,
  • Medical records,
  • Mental health records,
  • Conversations between the lawyer and the social worker, or
  • Records that other agencies keep.


Click to go BACK to the FAQ page

© 2022 Superior Court of California, County of Santa Clara