Translate this page:
View Disclaimer
Grandparent Visitation Rights faq

How does someone apply for grandparent visitation rights?

The person should visit the Court's Self-Help Center in downtown San Jose for help applying to the Court to have visitation time with grandchildren. The Self-Help Center may be able to provide the forms and help with filling them out, to ask the Court to make a new visitation order, without charge for the assistance.

The issue of grandparent's rights can be very complicated, however, and the Self-Help Center may not always be able to help. It is a good idea to have a consultation with a private attorney (see local Bar Association website ).

The person will need to bring:

  • the son or daughter's court case number, if there is one, and
  • the most recent visitation order for the children (Copies may be obtained from Family Justice Center Courthouse if the case is not confidential. Note that there is a copying fee.)


Click to go BACK to the FAQ page

© 2023 Superior Court of California, County of Santa Clara