Translate this page:
View Disclaimer
Changing COunty in Custody Case faq

How can I change custody from one county to another?

You have two options:

(1) File a motion to change custody in the divorce case in the other county, or

(2) File to move the case to Santa Clara County ("change venue") and THEN file a motion to change custody once the case has arrived here (this can take a few months - time for the hearing in the other county and additional time to transport the file).

If you need help filling out the paperwork, you may want to go to our Self-Help Center office in downtown San Jose. If you wish to consult with an attorney or get other legal aid, check our Free & Low-Cost Legal Help web page.


Click to go BACK to the FAQ page

© 2023 Superior Court of California, County of Santa Clara