Small Claims Courthouses: where to file

FAQ: How do I know which courthouse to go to, to file a Small Claims case?

Small Claims matters are handled in the DTS, Palo Alto, and South County courthouses. Click to go to the Small Claims filing page for a table listing the cities in this county and where to file for each of those cities.

Where to file depends on where the defendant lives, in cases where there is a single defendant. So for example, if the defendant lives in Los Altos the case must be filed in Palo Alto. If the defendant lives in the city of San Jose, it must be filed at the Downtown Superior Court (DTS).

If the claim is for a single incident with a joint responsibility of two or more defendants, the location of the occurrence (where the thing happened that is the subject of the suit) would be the factor used to determine where to file (whether or not a defendant lives there).


Click to go BACK to the FAQ page

© 2014 Superior Court of California, County of Santa Clara