See the Probate Community Resources page in our Self-Help section for a listing of community resources for your use.
Visit the County website for information about other services offered by County of Santa Clara .
The Probate Division of Superior Court (located at the Downtown Superior Courthouse) handles a wide range of issues involving adults and children. The following is a list of matters heard in the Probate area of our Court. Clicking on the links below will take you to pages in the probate Self-Help section of this website.
- Transfer of property of people who have died
- Disputes about trusts
- Appointment of a person to oversee the finances and/or the care of an older adult or a developmentally disabled adult who cannot take care of him-/herself (Conservatorship)
- Appointment of a person to make certain mental health decisions for someone who is gravely disabled and is unable to care for his/her personal needs. (LPS - Lanterman-Petris-Short Mental Health Conservatorships).
- Requesting a hearing to challenge your quarantine order
- Appointment of a person to oversee the finances and/or the care of a child whose parents are unable to care of the child (Guardianship)
- Adoptions for children and adults
- Names changes for adults and children
- Approval by the court of the terms of an agreement to settle a claim by a child, usually involving an injury (Minor’s Compromise)
- Freeing a child from the control of a parent and giving the child some rights as an adult (Emancipation)
- Establishing a fact of a birth, death or a marriage that has not been recorded or cannot be obtained.
For information on restraining orders for older adults who have been abused either financially or physically, see the Elder/Dependent Adult Abuse page in the restraining order section of this website